End of October according to Tibetan lunar calender is commemorating as the death anniversary of Tsongkapa. So Tibetans use to called it Gaden Ngachen chenmo.
During Gaden Ngachen Chenmo Festival every monasteries and house hold burns countless butter lamps everywhere and chant prayers in his honor. Tibetan people use to make round around the Bakhor and monasteries along with small prayer wheel in right hands and rosary in left hand. Later in evening they eat “Thinthuk”(typical Tibetan noodle)
What you can see during the festival?
- Tibetan brush their houses only once a year during that period
- Peoples preparing for the butter lamps during daytime.
- Hundreds of Tibetan gather infront of Jokhang to commemorate the death anniversary of Tsongkapa.
- Countless of butterlamp around the lhasa city.
- Common Tibetan peoples chanting in his owner.
- Almost every Tibetan living in lhasa gather at jokhang square and rotate around the Barkhor street in the evening.