Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve is situated on the flood plains of the Sapta-Koshi River in Eastern Nepal and cover 175 sq. km. The reserve is a wetland of international significance. In 1987, it was declared a Samsar site. It is home to more than 280 bird species including 20 duck species, 2 species of ibises, many storks, egrets and herons. The endangered swamp partridge and Bengal florican are found here. The Koshi Barge is an extremely important resting-place for migratory birds. The last surviving population of wild buffalo or arna is found here. The reserve is also home to many types of mammals such as hog deer, spotted deer, wild boar and blue bull. The endangered Gharial crocodile and Gangetic olphin have been recorded in the Koshi River. The vegetation mainly includes tall khar-pater grasslands with a few patches of khair-sissoo scrub forest and deciduous mixed riverine forest. During the monsoon, the reserve is flooded with depths ranging from 10 to 300 cm. From season to season the Sapta Koshi River changes its course.
How to get there?
Travel By Air
There is a regular flight from Kathmandu to Biratnagar by twin otter or Avero aircraft every day. From Biratnagar a comfortable one and half an hours drive to the Camp.
Travel By Raft
An exciting 8-10 days raft trip on Sun Koshi river reaches directly at Koshi Tappu Reserve.
Travel By Overland
The scenic drive of 9-10 hrs. through Nepali country side by surface.
What to bring for this tour?
- Binoculars add greatly to your enjoyment for bird and wildlife viewing.
- Neutral colored clothing is recommended for a visit to the jungle.
- Light clothing is needed for day time with a sweater and warm jacket for the evenings from November to March.
- Pants / Trousers are recommended for elephant safari.
- Comfortable walking shoes, sun hat, sunglasses etc. are essential. Insect repellent and personal medical requirements should be carried.
- We suggest guests travel light bringing only one small suitcase or duffle bag.
- During the warmer months swimming suits are recommended.
- A Small flash light is recommended.