- Duration:11 days
- Trip Grade:Moderate
- Max Elevation:3490 m.
- Max Group Size:2
- Best Time:21 -22 August 2017 in Drepung
Shotun in Tibetan means sour milk banquet. As Tibetan operas are performed and Buddha paintings are exhibited at this time, it is also called -Tibetan Opera Festival- or -Buddha Exhibition Festival-.
Shotun festival is the most important and attractive for the Tibetans with full of ethnic songs and dances along with famous Tibetan opera performing at Norbulingka Palace. Hundreds of thousands of Tibetan gather at Drepung, Sera monastery to see the famous Buddha Thangka.
Origination of Shotun festival: Tsongkapa master had initiated a rule on monks to concentrate on meditation in monasteries from april to june according to Tibetan lunar calendar to avoid killings and earning demerits during that days. After finishing these days, the local Tibetan laymen use to serve them curds, perform Tibetan opera and will go for picnics and later strengthen to new festival in Tibet.
During this eleven days tour presents two jewels of Asia’s heritage. It combines Six days in the spectacular capital of Nepal, Kathmandu, with a five day tour of Tibet. First few days we spend time visiting Palaces, Temples, Stupas and making 4-5 hours hiking from Nagarkot to Sankhu. Afterwards we fly to Lhasa taking 75 minute excellent mountain flight over the Himalaya.
Travel to the ancient Buddhist Capital Lhasa. Visit the famous Potala Palace, the Jokhang, great monasteries and walk through the bustling Barkor Market. A fine introductory tour to the heart of Tibet.
- Hundreds of Tibetan people gather at Drepung and Sera monastery with well ethnic dress up.
- Lamas carrying the giant Jampa Thangka and hanging on foot hill of Gebeiwotse mountain early in the morning.
- The sound of sutra bugle reverberating through the valley.
- Gaint hanged Jampa thangka at Drepung and Sera monastery.
- Tibetan opera performance at Norbulingka Palace.
- Woderful yak racing and horsemanship display.
- Hundreds of journalist from all over the world.
- Sangsol(burning of Tuja leaves along with Tsampa and butter) at the whole cities.
- Crowded Tibetan peoples throwing White Khada on the giant Thangka.
- Day 01 Arrival in Kathmandu (1350m) /day at leisure/hotel
- Day 02 Full day sightseeing/Hotel
- Day 03 Drive to Nagerkot (2195M) for Himalaya view/hotel
- Day 04 After BF trek to Sankhu (1350M) and drive to Hotel
- Day 05 Fly to Gonggar /Transfer to Lhasa (3490M) /Hotel
- Day 06 Visit Potala, Sera and Norbulinka /hotel
- Day 07 Visit Drepung, Jorkhang & Barkhor /hotel
- Day 08 Drive to Yamdrok Lake (4441M)/ back to Lhasa (3490M)/ hotel
- Day 09 Fly to Kathmandu (1350M)/hotel
- Day 10 Day at leisure/hotel
- Day 11 Drive to airport.
- International airport pickup and drop service
- Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu
- Welcome and farewell dinner
- Hotel accommodation in twin sharing room on bed and breakfast basis
- Air ticket; Kathmandu to Lhasa, Lhasa to Kathmandu
- Transportation by 4500 model Land-cruiser / Mini coach as per group size
- Sightseeing with Tibetan guide as per itinerary
- Monastery entrance fees
- Tibet visa and travel permit
- Oxygen bag indide the Jeep
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Nepal entry visa fee per person US$30 only / re-entry visa fees
- Insurance & emergency rescue charges
- Extra porter & transport charges in the event of landslides
- Personal clothing & accessories including sleeping bags
- Others not specified in above cost inclusions list
Join Upcoming Trips
|Price||Start Date||End Date||Trip Status|
Nepal is a nation between India and Tibet known for its temples and Himalayan mountains, which include Mt. Everest. Kathmandu, the capital, has a mazelike old quarter filled with Hindu and Buddhist shrines.
From Kathmandu to Pokhara alone, trekking team was very organized and professional! advice to anyone who wants to move to contact the agency, Hari and his brothers will realize your dreams! The landscape was simply extraordinary and people are very hospitable!!
I have been from Kathmandu to Pokhara alone, trekking team was very organized and professional! advice to anyone who wants to move to contact the agency, Hari and his brothers will realize your dreams! The landscape was simply extraordinary and people are very hospitable!!
We did the 12-day itinerary trekking to Everest Base Camp. We booked it all from England and communicated with the owner Hari via email. Such a nice family that owns and runs this business. Very friendly and welcoming. We had loads of cups of tea with them in their shop in Thamel before and after our trek.